Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Does anyone remember?

Can anyone remember the name of that dance groove Rob mentioned in the last class? It was a dance that all the cool kids were doing in the North U.S., and Rob was tempted to demonstrate for us, but didn't. It was when he was speaking about how producers can affect the music. And a certain producer got a band to play a new groove just by demonstrating the dance. It was recorded in Stax studios, and was a mix between straight eighths and swung triplets? A mix of early 60's rock band and soul music? I'd like to listen to this groove, so I'm also looking for the name of the song they recorded.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Tara, I had a look through my notes but apparently didn't write down the groove's name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it was the jerk. Rob was saying that the rythmn section is consistently late on beats 2 and 4 in stax recordings (so it wasn't about the swing vs straight feel)...and I'm pretty sure he just meant all stax recording's in general and not specifically the wilson Picket tune, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete